Monday 2 June 2014

1st June 2014 - Still Roaming...

Has this bout of travelling helped soften the pain suffered by beautiful Amanda being taken so early in her life by cancer?  No.  No it hasn't.   My faith in the kindness of human beings as a whole has been bolstered.  It wasn't restored as I'd never believed anything different.
I just want Amanda to be here with me enjoying herself.  Enjoying life.  She had reached such a happy content point in her journey.  She was so full of love and kindness, she'd reached a place where at long last she felt truly happy.  This had taken time and effort on her behalf.  Choosing to be with someone who loved her unconditionally helped.
I continue to read spiritual books.  Maybe they help.  Maybe they don't.  But I know one thing for certain, Amanda would have had me reading them.  She had me reading them to her at night.  She also wanted me to enjoy them, to be open to their prose.  I was.  And I am.  I do enjoy this type of literature.
Sometimes I feel they hint toward leaving the past behind.  Forgetting about the past.  Or at least letting it go.... I suppose it's letting it go, rather than forgetting about it.  Learning to control attachment to the past.  Which is probably wise.  It's wise but I fight it.  I am attached to the past.  I am still attached to Amanda, to my love, my best friend, my wife.
I continue to aim towards living in the here and now.  Being present to what is on offer and what I can give back.  I practice this rigorously.  But my longing to be with Amanda still lingers deep in my heart and soul.
When we did experience difficult times she often talked about 'setting me free'.  It used to annoy me.  I'd tell her it wasn't her choice to keep or free me.  I loved her it was my choice to be there with her.  My romantic shackles were self selected.  They fitted well and I loved them.  I never felt trapped or encumbered by our relationship.  I loved it.... As I type this post at 9.15pm in Homer Alaska, a beautiful huge bald headed eagle glides past the patio window set against the back drop of a deep blue sky and snow capped mountains.  Sounds good doesn't it.  A few years ago it would have blown my mind.
Without the 'sharing' part, it's just something I see, register and share with you.

I will return to the Isle of Man for the anniversary of Amanda's passing.  I long for her to be here, as we all do.  Robyn her daughter, her family and friends..... We all long for Amanda's cheeky smile to light up the room, or her ever 'willing to listen' ears to be there to share our emotions and feelings.  We can still do this.  I do.
I don't want to focus on the date that Amanda's life ended.  I would rather have my focus placed on her birthday or our anniversary.... But even these dates are just dates.... I suppose what I am doing is selecting certain days to acknowledge the great times we shared, but I do that every day in my head.  I suppose there's no protocol as to how we celebrate Amanda's time with us.... So with that in mind I'll just roll with it.

I go on wandering and wondering, as do we all.

Love.

x


1 comment:

  1. Mark. Little did either of us know when we posted our comments on Jon’s FB rugby picture the other day?

    After reading your blog through the haze, I do now know of your beautiful Amanda and your very sad loss. From your inspired eloquent words, it is obvious that you were and still are an amazing couple. Amanda is and always will be your guiding spirit. My words cannot express how I feel for you.

    Equally, when you asked about me, you did not know that last May, after realising something was wrong, my haemoglobin crashed! My bone marrow was not working. I could hardly put one foot in front of the other. The diagnosis was CLL - chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Fortunately, after eventually being referred to Bart’s, I am now on a clinical trial, four chemo sessions out of six completed with blood levels nearer where they should be.

    I cannot ever begin to understand what pain you shared with Amanda. As for now, you are seeing the world as others live and get by their trials and hardships. Just remember, you cannot always be roaming – it’s good to return! Above all Mark …stay safe!

    I will be on the Island later in the year. As always, I will visit the most special place –The Sound. Now I have another reason to go there and take in the view.

    Take care
    Roy

    ReplyDelete