Sunday 12 January 2014

Amanda's Ashes.....

Today was an emotional day... As many are in fact, as those amongst you who have also lost know exactly what I mean.  But today was more so.  We had arranged to place some of Amanda's ashes in her Nan's plot at the cemetery in Malew.  At 10am I would meet Amanda's Mum, Step-dad, Sisters, Nephew his girlfriend and my Mum.

At 9.45am I picked up the heavy purple box, which had sat on my bedside table since August.  I carried it in both hands to the car.  Earlier on in the morning I set some of Amanda's ashes aside in a little intricately hand carved marble box.  It was Amanda's.  It's a stunning little thing, with wonderful patterning along with a depiction of Buddha.  These particular ashes are to be scattered at some of Amanda's favourite places here on the Isle of Man and in the UK, plus places that she would have loved, which will happen as I travel.
I pulled up on the roadside and lifted the purple box from the passengers seat.  I could see everyone waiting in the cemetery.  I felt overwhelmed and cried as I
walked.  By the time I reached everyone I'd almost recomposed myself.  There were hugs and tears as I lowered Amanda's ashes in to the shallow hole to lay with her Nan.  Her Mum asked me to say a few words, but I struggled, just saying how much we all missed her, how much we loved her and how much we learned from her between my tears.  It was difficult.

After a minute or so of silence we moved on to The Sound (Lands End of Mann).  This is where Amanda's memorial bench was to be placed.  A little over a week ago I headed out to clear the patch of land the farmer had given me permission to use.  Thick grass and heavy briars tortured the strimmer and my gloves.  A passing mountain biker came to a halt along the grass path, 'Is this a labour of love?' he asked, looking at the area I was attempting to clear.  'That's exactly what it is.' I gently replied, going on to explain what I was doing and why.
A couple of hours later a large clean patch of land sat proudly amidst the windswept undergrowth.  I stood on top of the clearing looking down on to the crashing sea, and out to the Calf of Man, the little mass of land that sits cut off from the main island itself.  Amanda loved this spot.  A few days later I returned with a pick and shovel and got to flattening a small area on the clear patch in preparation of a little concrete plinth for Amanda's bench to rest.
So today we all headed to this beautiful spot on the Isle of Man's rugged coastline.  It was cold and windy.  I like to describe it as 'fresh'.  I've never been averse to the Island's blustery conditions.  I lifted the bench from the car lugging it's beautifully heavy form to it's new resting place.  Out in the open.  Free to enjoy the elements of our Manx weather.  I'm hoping the engraved words will catch the setting sun of an evening.....
I also engraved the back of the bench.  It reads 'kisses in the sun, make my heart sing and my soul dance'.  Whenever we were sat in the sun, Amanda would close her eyes.  She would ask, 'What is my favourite thing?  I'd plant gentle kisses on her forehead, her eyelids, her cheeks and neck.  She would smile.... then say, as she did every time 'Kisses in the Sun'.

After placing the bench  we gathered in the warmth of The Sound Cafe and enjoyed hot tea and scones.  It was a beautiful get together, I do enjoy spending time with Amanda's Mum and Step Dad.  They are such lovely people.  And of course Jane, Sally, Jordan and Jasmine too... and my own wonderful Mum x.

My folks have been great supporting me over recent months.  Some great people have really stepped up to the mark.  Selfless people, kind acts of generosity coming in from all sorts of unexpected places.

Last night I decided I'd like a little wooden pendant to hold some of Amanda's ashes, so that I could have part of her near me at all times.  I would hand it from a leather necklace. Macabre?  A little silly maybe?  I don't know.... It just felt right for me.  Last night I emailed a lovely man who I'd only met a few weeks ago at the place where I'd learnt to do the letter carving for Amanda's bench.  Grtaham is a wood turner extraordinaire.  I told him what I wanted to do..... He told me to drop by the workshop this afternoon (today was Sunday) So after placing Amanda's bench that's exactly what I did.  Two hours later we had Amanda's ashes set in to a beautiful little polished Elm pendant.  Finished with a natural buffing of Manx bee's wax.  It's absolutely perfect.  As he worked we chatted and drank coffee.  It was lovely couple of hours.  Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity Graham, it meant a great deal to me.  I will wear my pendant with pride.  Graham explained that Elm wood signifies inner strength and intuition.... I hope both will grow in me.

Last weekend I realised I was nearing where I wanted to be with all things Amanda.  The bench was engraved and the land cleared.  It was ready to place.  Our photo albums were complete and Amanda's ashes were to be placed.
Living here at my parents has given me a wonderful opportunity to spend time with two of the loveliest people you could ever hope to share time with.  Thank you Mum and Dad.  But with this comes a soft, warm security blanket.  It would be all too easy to simply live out the rest of my life in my little living room looking at photographs of Amanda constantly reminiscing.... Fighting waves of emotions.... Was I ever going to do the things I said would, such as heading back to India to finish our trip.  I feared I would continue to procrastinate.... stagnate.....
Having lost my courage and sense of adventure how would I continue with this life?  I have no direction.  My beautiful wife is no longer here to hold my hand.  I have no special person to share my love with any longer.  Everything was fear based, and with this recognition of fear, I knew I needed to address it.
I took the bull by the horns and applied for my Indian Visa.
Next I booked a flight to London, then on to India.  I leave on the 18th January..... If my Visa arrives in time!

It's time to face the world.....Alone.

15 comments:

  1. Elaine Watterson12 January 2014 at 19:49

    You are not alone..Amanda will always be by your side...xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Elaine's comment, Amanda is all around you and all of us. She will be smiling down on you knowing you are moving forward to continue what you both started.
    I'm looking forward to visiting the bench on Friday and no doubt spill a few tears - just as I have reading this last post ..... and as always Mark, touching and heartfelt words.
    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will never be alone Mark !! Hugs n kisses xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sister-in-law, without Amanda's touch and voice it can just feel that way....

      Delete
  4. That's great Mark, it is always hard to move forward and it won't be easy but you will find direction and this will be the start of the next chapter
    Amanda will always be with you as you carry her in your heart x
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...... The next chapter, that's how I need to look at it. I feel the best chapter has been and I can't see how anything else will come close. But I suppose that also comes down to personal choice and how I live my life from now on. Amanda's presence in my heart and mind will no doubt guide me when I'm lost.

      Delete
  5. She will watch and guide you always, you are never truly alone, our love ones who pass stay with us and gently guide us through our lives until we meet again soon. I never met Amanda, and I've not met you Mark, but I know she would be proud of you finishing your journey, Going to India will be scary, but you can do it. Your beautiful Amanda will be watching always x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert & I wish you well on your journey. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is for us to pray not for tasks equal to our powers, but for powers equal to our tasks, to go forward with a great desire forever beating at the door of our hearts as we travel toward our distant goal.

    Safe travels buddy. oxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very deep statement Anon.... and to go forward with passion and desire is the greatest obstacle in my path... As long as I continue to be present and am able to recognise my own fear blocking my path may be when I'm ready to set myself goals I may be able to strive toward achieving them. Thanks Anon.

      Delete
  8. Mark, your love will always carry you , and as you face your journey ahead, know that what you had together has been the foundation of what you are yet to discover, what you have become because of your lives together...as you travel you will enrich the lives of all those you meet because your life was enriched by your wife,,,,you are a blessed man,,,live life to the full now, you only get one chance! Make new memories and allow yourself to breathe and love again,,,x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Val. I hope you are right. She did indeed enrich my life and the lives of her family and friends Val, she was a wonderful soul, and in many of our hearts she still is and always will be. I do intend to live life to the full, and I'm trying so hard, but I'm also struggling so much to believe what has happened is real, I'm struggling to believe that what I'm doing is what I'm meant to be doing.... But I'm sure all these things will be revealed in time. Thank you Val x

    ReplyDelete