Tuesday 8 March 2011

Amanda's Recovery....

Before I hit the hay last night, at around 1am, I was ordered to have a wash in the disinfectant style shower gel provided by the hospital, 'to keep 'germs' out of the bed'..... I feared this may wake me up again, but had little to worry about, I was that shattered, that I think I was asleep before the pillow had time to recoil from whence my head landed upon it's beautiful, soft, comfortable texture.... Sleeeeeeeeep!
3am arrived with a gentle stream of texts
from the non-sleeping, hospital bound beauty.  Wiping the pillow bound drool from my face each time I replied to her.  I'd drop back off, waking only a few seconds later from the vibrating sound of my phone, with yet another cheek full of drool!  Even whilst lying in bed having just had major surgery, she was thinking of others, having sent her (fairly estranged) Father a lengthy message regarding his recent stroke and depression.  She really is wonderful.
At 7.20am, there it was, the call for breakfast.  I pulled on yesterdays clothes (nothing knew for me!),  bathroomed, juiced and prepared.... then off up to the hospital.  Amanda wasn't in the best frame of mind, the new nurses weren't as nice as yesterday's bunch, and she was still in a lot of pain and very frustrated.  Jane, one of Amanda's friends texted to say she could borrow her Ipad, so I dropped breakfast off, had a quick chat, then shot back across Banbury, then back up to the hospital.  Amanda and technology don't always go hand in hand, and after a frustrating hour or so she gave up on the ipad.  Handily Jane had provided us with her password for BT Openzone, which the hospital has access to, so Amanda was able to revert to something a little more familiar, so instead, she moved on to destroying my netbook.
She had a bit of wobble, and a little nausea later in the morning, but her blood pressure is still a little low, and the painkillers also have a tendency to make her a little light headed.  Amanda is a very independent (well, she likes to be able to do things herself, though if I'm around, she'd rather I do them! ;-)   ) lady, and having to be reliant on the nurses, and myself to carry out the smallest of tasks, such as moving pillows, or sitting up in the bed, or reaching a book, is absolutely 'doing her head in'.  I've told her not to get so frustrated, and allow herself to be helped.  I softened up the older nurse that she didn't initially like, by simply explaining why Amanda was frustrated, she then sat on the bed for a bit of a chat.  Why wasn't she like that before, Amanda asked..... well phrases like, 'I don't know, I'm not a doctor', and just Amanda's general frustration was putting this more mature nurse (old cow) on to her back foot.  She was being a bit mean initially.
The tea nurse (not sure of a title there) comes round and offers refreshments, I asked if I could get a cuppa, as Amanda had just asked for hot water for her herbal infusions, she said she couldn't as they weren't allowed to serve family members.  Well, I smiled could Amanda have a tea with one sugar please?  She smiled and asked would Amanda also like biscuits or cake?  Amanda would like both please.  Lovely lady!  Ha ha!
Anyway, Amanda was writing a post this morning, but  got a bit tired and will no doubt finish it later.  She is absolutely exhausted, but can't sleep due to the pain she is suffering, though I think the sandman is just around the corner, and she will flake out this afternoon at some point.  I've just nipped home to clear the breakfast and lunch making bomb site, and to grab some toast, and do a quick bit of work.  It's crazy, I'm forgetting to feed me!  She offered me some of her salad at lunch time, I said it was very sweet of her, but she needs the fresh soup, salad, nuts and berries.  She forced it upon me again, 'No thanks!'I said 'I'd rather lick the sink in the corner than eat more salad'..... she understood, and laughed....
Sorry for not updating earlier Colleen!!!

There has been no talk about further treatment as yet, so as per usual, I will keep you all updated from here.
Thanks again.

14 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that the operation went well and the road to recovery has started, please send AJ our love, obviously we send it to you and Rob too :-D
    Boyd, your charm or is it cheek haha never ceases to amaze me! Can Amanda have a tea with 1 sugar please and to get cake and biscuits!! Brilliant :-D
    I think I actually laughed out loud which is wierd when you're sat at home on your own!
    Sainsbury's went well, even though I forgot nearly everything my Mum wanted!

    Our thoughts are with you

    Prenno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Prent. Does your screen have a reflective surface per chance? Ha ha! I ended up wandering up to Sainsburys at about 2.30pm, to grab a few bits. The problem being, everything for Amanda now has to be Organic, and not contain any animal matter whatsoever. Shopping has become more complex! I never know what I'm going for half the time, and when I get there, if I did know, I forget pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lovelies, so relieved that that bit's over. Mark, you must look after yourself, otherwise who will look after Amanda?...I have an image of the 2 old folk in the bed at the beginning of Charlie and the Chocolate factory! We would of course devise a shift system between us, to come and take care of you both. Lisa Lynch's recent blog post was entitled 'New Nork' to my amusement, apparently her tit looks fab! She's about 12 months ahead of you guys but it's encouraging none the less to read that things are going well for her. Give AJ a big, gentle cuddle from us Pearsons, and Keep Juicing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Mumford clan send there love to you both and Robyn too.
    Great news op went ok, now you have the task of making sure AJ looks after herself and is well looked after - although sounds like you are doing a fab job! Every home should have a Mark - can we borrow you?!
    Seriously though, AJ take care and make sure you are resting so you can come home soon.

    Much love Loll
    xxxx

    P.S
    Don't forget to feed yourself Mark!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lovlies! Now Mark your waiting on skills are becoming legendary, so much so I am beginning to wonder who is looking after you......would you and Robyn appreciate a meal on wheels delivered swiftly in Keshies car? Say what you'd like for tomorrow honey and I shall happily provide :) (I am guessing not salad!!!) AJ honey, good to see your feistiness is still there, hopefully this will speed up when you are allowed home. Is it still no visitor? I understand if it is....Purple polka dot hugs and gentle squeezes Kesh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey

    So glad you're on the road to recovery AJ and everything went well.

    I'm crap with expressing myself but have been thinking about you everyday and what you must be going through. The pain will pass and the wounds will heal in time and you both have the inner strength to get through this awful time.

    Here's to a speedy recovery xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surprised nobody else has picked up on this yet (Carl?):

    "I was ordered to have a wash in the disinfectant style shower gel provided by the hospital, 'to keep 'germs' out of the bed' "

    Mate, I think the hospital staff (possibly under the instruction of Amanda) were trying to subtly hint that it might be a good idea to have a wash... Personal hygiene has never been your forte and your complete (and wonderful) dedication to looking after Amanda has probably seen it further neglected!!!

    Amanda, hope you're not getting too bored/ frustrated up there. Having a few jokes at the expense of the more socially inept nurses helps to make them slightly more bearable!

    Stu x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you all, let us know when your up to visitors,

    love and kisses

    Karen, Joe, Daniel and Charlie

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi AJ

    I know exactly what you mean about the nurses, they are very unpredictable, just remember they are there to help you get better and if you need anything make sure you ring that bell.

    thinking of you, keep strong,

    loves ya

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did wonder why the hospital wanted Mark to keep the germs out of his bed?! Maybe he can ask if the hospital offers a car wash as well :-)

    P.S People of Banbury, please check in on him and make sure he's OK. We've all been worrying about Amanda but as she would tell us it's Mark we should be worrying about.

    Stu - Get over there and rub his head until he sleeps or just bring him some photos of the fish you've caught this week!

    Holly - Carve up some more carrot fingers or olive eyes so that he can take them into the hospital and cheer up the nurses!

    Prent - Have a word with the opposition and make sure he has a blinder on Saturday.

    Kesh - Bring the lad over some cheese and beer. You know it will all be gone when Amanda gets back!

    Neighbors - Since he's not sleeping anyway place a speaker against the wall and lull him to sleep with the dulcet tones of The Doves.

    Oh and did I see a rental company following the blog? Got anywhere nice free this Summer? Has to be near a water system though...

    You may ask what I have done? Well I sent him possibly the most suicidal album of 2011, genius. In retrospect, I probably should have sent some of KA's disco cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carl-have offered a meals on wheels service!! Consider the Cheese and Beer order done :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha! Carl you are mental! Ha ha! You are all very sweet. I'm grabbing food on the run, I won't starve, I'm sleeping ok once I get there! I don't need anyones concern good friends, I'm a, ahem, young, fit man! Not everyone could put up with 'a Mark'.... I'm generally impatient, moaney if things aren't tidy the way I want them (not necessarily clean!) and obsessed with fishing.... I'm not that great to have around :-)
    On personal hygiene side, I wash at least once a day (usually). Just because my fishing clothes only get washed annually, does not make my personal hygience questionable, I just thought I should clear that up. I always smell like a dream, unless I'm sitting in my angling clobber! Cheeky sods!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply put you want us to stop fussin!!!!! We won't you know it's not in our nature AND there may be a moment when our offers need accepting lovely.

    Oh and I always think you smell wonderful, Ash has also perfected the art of never having clothes washed and yet always smelling fresh. Deodorising products today are immense!!!!

    Off to Oxford now - Sex Education course!!! A great joke topic for you all!!! Hope to see a few later......

    ReplyDelete