Tuesday 1 March 2011

The First Couple of Days.....

Tuesday afternoon and evening was spent in shock.... we contemplated keeping it to ourselves, but realised with Amanda's role as a hairdresser, this would be difficult. We decided to tell our closest friends and relatives (knowing that they would save us the repeated anguish of telling everyone that had ever known us, or seen us in passing), this was difficult. I texted my brother, as I knew I'd choke up, I told him I probably wasn't going to tell Mum & Dad as they'd be so upset, and also the fact I didn't want them worrying unnecessarily, as there was nothing they could do. He advised me otherwise. So I got the phone, went out of the living room and sat on the stairs. I call my folks every Sunday, and have done since we moved to Banbury over 5 years ago, I don't call midweek, infact on a Sunday to close off the conversation, I usually say 'I will speak to you Sunday, unless something exciting and unexpected happens in the week'. This was that 'unexpected thing'. I dialled the number, and Mum answered, she could here in voice something was wrong, then I tried to say 'Amanda was diagnosed with breast cancer today'. It came out something like this, 'Am zz dig wi brst cncer'..... amazingly between the choking and sobbing, she knew exactly what I'd said (she's irish, used to trying to decipher what her own family say half the time!). She was great, and I eventually pulled myself together. When anything awful happens, Mum, being a staunch (not as staunch as she once was, but that's my fault) catholic, reaches for the prayer book and lights a candle, it's lovely..... I'm not one for prayers, and candles.... handy for romantic occassions, but it's lovely when everyone tries in their own way to help. Amanda, she loves the prayer and candle thing..... What can I say?
Friends generally got an email or text, saying don't call, as I'm eh... doing... stuff... basically I didn't want to try saying it again for a few days, until I'd practiced it on my own. Man up Boyd! By Thursday I could talk coherently, which came in very handy, because as Amanda's Breast Cancer P.A. I had alot of calls to take, and an awful lot of texts to deal with. It's lovely to know so many people care about her. Thanks to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment