Wednesday 2 March 2011

What have we found out???

Well we have discovered alot about diet. A book called 'The China Study', was a bit of an eye opener. But then you have to look at this chaps studies with a critical eye too. To summarise, massive study in China (he picked a good title for his book!) comparing different counties in China with rates of differing types of cancer. This was all tabulated statistically based on peoples diets and living conditions etc. There were more variables. Anyway to cut a long story short, diet seemed to greatly influence Chinese folks' chance of cancer, dependent on where they lived and what they ate. This study was carried out over many years, and the book was published in 1996, which is fairly dated as far as medicine goes, but the message is still the same now. As these studies were in a limited gene pool/population, ie. China, and there is not enough evidence to make these studies conclusive, but it suggests that a diet based on animal protein (meats, cheeses, butter, eggs etc) could, to put it into simple terms, activate cancer cells that are already inside us, allowing them to activate and grow. Basically go vegie to keep the cancers at bay, or at least reduce your animal proteins right down. As I see it, there is no harm in altering your diet this way, a healthy balanced diet has always been the way forward to me anyway. The fact that avoiding possible carcinogens in this modern age, is probably impossible, we should do what we can ourselves to eat as healthily as possible. 'What if' these studies are correct? I for one take in alot of veg as it is, but, not enough fruit. I probably eat a little too much meat, that's easy enough to correct (especially now that there is none in the bloody fridge!!!), maybe I will take an alternative to milk (milk contains the protein 'casein' which switched on a carcinogen called aflatoxin in rats at levels over 5%, a limited study but a result nonetheless.) like soy milk, almond milk or kefir milk.... I only have it on cereal and in tea generally anyway. So black tea and dry cereal (cough, choke, splutter!!!), or cereal with an alternative milk product. Casein may not bother humans, I don't know, but bugger it, I'll go with something else from now on. Little changes can make us feel better in ourselves. I'm not one to go all out crazy on any scare mongering claims, but having studied A'level biology, then having gone on to university to study it in greater detail, I do understand how these overall studies work. I do feel certain establishments use their results cleverly to illustrate what they want them to illustrate, but that's life.... we can only keep on reading and learning, and holding onto what little nuggets that we believe to be true, based on our own thoughts. I'm one for clinical studies, but they take a bloody long time, and alot of funding.
I hope to tidy up this blog, into something more informative, and easier to follow at some point..... No promises though.

4 comments:

  1. So does this mean that the Boydies cordon bleu fillet steak and scallops are no longer on the menu??!! If so, Carl and I will bring a take away menu when we come for dinner! Unless of course you have some new culinary delights to treat us to? My top tip though: soya milk is perfect for cereal but DO NOT attempt to put it in your milk, it curdles like a mo fo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you didn't mean put it in your milk Kate-Anne?? Ha ha! I've been having it in tea and on cereal, takes a bit of getting used to in tea, but that's fine. Lot's of things take getting used too! Me for starters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes stupid me, I meant tea!!! And as for you taking a bit of getting used to, I wondered why we keep going on holidays with you pair?! Speaking of which we will have to plan our next one soon...P.S Eden doesn't count as we don't have to board a plan to get there as much as you would love to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mark,
    I'm Cláudia, Amanda's friend from Portugal. Just got your email yesterday and was shocked and sad to say the least. I will write a reply after reading all these posts.
    Regarding this one I have to say I agree with that study 100%. My mom had one of the worst cancers possible, pancreatic cancer. She only lived for 8 months, I don't know anyone having survived this type of cancer until last year I came across a tv show called "The Incurables". If you haven't heard of it you should try and find it. It's all about people who battled with cancer by their own means, some with chemo plus alternative medicine and some with only alternative medicine and diet. Anyway, after many research I came to the same conclusion: cancer cells thrive on milk and dairy products. Milk has this mucus which makes these cells reproduce. And don't be fooled because your body will ask for it. Just a couple of months before my mom passed away, do you know what she only asked to eat? Warm milk soup with bread in it!!!
    The only time her blood tests were better was when she was taking some chinese supplements, one was called chemo support and the other was some herbs to boost her immune system. Unfortunately, because of chemo side effects she stopped taking these herbs because the pills were too big and she could taste the herbs and felt like throwing up more. I insisted but she wasn't able to. I will keep on reading your posts to know what you have been doing to battle this horrible disease.
    Take care. A big kiss to Amanda. I will write soon.
    Cláudia

    ReplyDelete