Tuesday 29 March 2011

Extended Stay.....

Yesterday Amanda decided she'd like to stay on the IOM for a few more days, so we have extended our trip until Friday night.  She can spend more time with her Mum and sisters, and this is what she wants at the moment. 
Yesterday we found a quiet spot to sit a couple of hours ahead of sunset, at one of the southerly points on the Island, called The Sound.  A very beautiful spot, where seals frolic in the icy waters of the Irish Sea, and gull calls constantly fill the air.  The sky was blue, and the sun was bright.  It was wonderful.
Amanda wanted me to partake in
one of 'The Journey' exercises.  This is a kind of meditation, that helps you discover what lies beneath most of your emotional problems, if indeed you suffer any.  Amanda's in anxiety.
She wasn't sure that I was the right person to assist her in this process.  This made two of us, but I'd read the book as promised, and was willing to try anything to help her through this current stage in her life.
We got comfortable on a patch of grass which was surrounded by lichen covered rocks, the sun was in our faces.  A seal swirled in the water below us, moving like the liquid that surrounded it.  Amanda closed her eyes, and relaxed.  I was on!  I remained serious throughout (not an easy thing for sceptic of these types of processes), my voice, calm and soothing.  I was also taking notes where they needed to be taken. 
As the sun slowly fell, and the shadows crept over the rocks, the temperature constantly fell.  I was also desperate for a wee.  I gently asked Amanda another question, scanned the area for onlookers, then ran a few feet down the rocks, relieving myself with an intense gusto that any man who has held onto a wee for over an hour can recognise.  A sigh of relief, and  a quick run up the rocks, found Amanda still in deep thought, allowing her body and mind to process each and every thought and emotional sensation she was currently experiencing.  Mine had been desperation, relief then a deep satisfaction and comfort..... and coldness!  After a little over two hours, this emotional process of  'The Journey' had been completed.  Amanda had some writing to do.  I grabbed my camera, and ran up the hill to grab some sunset images, whilst Amanda warmed up in the car, and got the writing.  My rather numb fingers were inefficient to say the least. But I managed few nice shots.
We'd carried out a similar exercise the evening before, again it took a little over two hours, again, I was bloody frozen by the end of it!
Amanda was very happy to hear from Janni's friends (Rebecca & Leo) that had used Gerson Therapy, and found it to be a resounding success.  Leo was on his last legs, the doctors saying there was nothing they could do to help.  Gerson Therapy cured him.  Still here many, many years down the line, even though the doctors had written him off.  They heard about it from Rebecca's aunt, who suffered breast cancer, had a mastectomy, followed the Gerson Therapy, and was back at work 6 months later.

I'm sure most folks look at the alternatives as a last ditch effort, when conventional medicine has failed, but Amanda is willing to use it as her standard course of treatment, just like Rebecca's aunt.  Both amazing ladies aren't they!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mark and Amanda,

    Mark your writing is sooo honest and beautiful, and Amanda, well you are just 'beautiful'.
    I have little experience and knowledge of Gerson Therapy, having only heard of it through Rebecca and Leo, they nag me whenever I see them, to eat more veg, becuase I really struggle to like vegetables, mushrooms and broad beans being my limit (ooh mustn't forget the frozen peas!!). Leo story is truly amazing, and Amanda I am sure you will have an equally amazing one too!!
    Sorry for short message, but really manic this week, as it is Mothers Day, and being a florist its just a little bit mental!! But I am manging to go and see Damian Marley on thursday!!
    Lots of love and the usual Tree Hugs!!
    Hope you are not getting bored with the Tree hugs!!
    Janni
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janni, thanks so much for your lovely comment and for putting me in touch with your inspirational pals Leo and Becca. I received an email from Becca today that filled my hope-o-metre up to the max :) I shared Becca's email with my lovely family and I believe it helped to warm their hearts and relaxed their minds.
    I have printed of all the required Gerson forms and hope to get them completed sharpish by my GP on my return to the UK. I am keen to start the therapy asap. I am already following the dietary guidance. Damian Marley - What a lovely specimen - lucky girl :) I hope you have a fab time x Look forward to catching up with you soon. Thanks so much for you support and I love tree hugs and could never tire of them xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark. I felt I had to just drop you a little note. I am popping in and out of the blog but do not feel I have anything useful or constructive to add at present. However I want to say what an absolutely wonderful man you are in your support of your Amanda. She can move mountains with a man like you at her side. Good on you. Just make sure that you spare a thought for yourself and have a few feel goods that you enjoy. I feel she is very very brave in her approach to this but faith works wonders and bless her she seems to have plenty of that. Certainly the raw foods etc cannot do any harm. She has certainly prepared herself well with plenty of information and you are joining her in that knowledge. There used to be a place in Bristol that women went to to receive holistic foods and treatments but I cannot for the life of me remember its name. My friend Janet considered going there but because of work commitments never actually got there. She is perfectly fit and well now and is an inspiration to all. She followed the raw foods diet but also had a course of radiotherapy . I am not a religious woman but if plenty of good wishes help I am giving that in droves. Hugs. Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'The Sound'........will always be my favourite island spot. Memories of 'My Crumblies' (affectionate name for my Grandparents) the never empty flasks and picnic basket full of homemade conserve, fruit cake, etc. Laying on lichen when the sun shone, wrapped in a blanket huddled in the Mini Clubman when it rained, as it often did!!! Lovely days.......I can think of nowhere better suited to meditation. Depsite the modern buildings that now reside there....the timeless essence of 'The Sound' still exists.
    Like Mark I have been reading.......as much as I can about Gerson Therapy so that I can at understand and support your choices with an open and well informed mind sweetie. Give our love to your family.........Huge freshly squeezed hugs to you both Kesh and Steve and Ash xxxx

    ReplyDelete