Wednesday 9 March 2011

Home at last.....

After being evicted from the private room at 11am, we waited in 'the day room' conservatory for Amanda's pain relief medication, and additional medication to be taken before the pain relief medication, to hinder the pain relief medication from causing pain in Amanda's tummy,(confused yet?) allowing the pain relief medication to do it's proper job on 'the wound'.  Amanda was tired, I was hungry and thirsty, and having been denied tea, by the 'tea lady' (I've demoted her from 'tea nurse') I ninja'd my way into the kitchen and made a fresh cuppa for myself, whilst pilfering the NHS's supply of ginger nuts and shortbread biscuits..... That'll teach 'em! I offered an old dear whom I was chatting with whilst I was helping myself, "would you like a top up", she laughed and said she was fine. She then pointed out where the biscuits were stashed! A woman after my own heart! 
Three hours later, Sally the breast cancer nurse turned up.  She ran through wound care, and problems that could possibly occur over the next few days, such as serenoma.  This is swelling caused by fluid build up, it can occur after the drain is removed.  The wound needs redressing every two or three days, by the doctor, and then by the middle of next week, it needs to see daylight.  I fear Amanda dreads this day!
We headed to the salon on the way home for Amanda to have her hair washed.  She felt a lot better for it too.  We got home, and Amanda started to miss her boob.  The softy (A fake breast, well not really a fake breast, a little cushion that impersonates a breast under clothing)., was not having the desired effect.  For starters it wasn't physically attached to her, secondly it was a slightly different size to her 'natural boob', and thirdly it was far perkier! (Only joking love).  She was missing her body part, and told the nurse she felt as though she'd been robbed.  She had been, but not only had they taken a piece of my wife’s lovely body, they also removed a deathly poison that had decided to make it's home there, and no doubt an extension would have been planned in the near future, and this was a risk that the doctors weren't willing to take.

4pm.
Amanda is very down this afternoon, it pains me to see her sad, and me doing the normal joking around or making stupid comments won't ease the sadness, so I don't.  I just make sure I'm there for her.....

8pm
A few days ago I mentioned I'd give up my nipples for her, today she has talked about that a lot, even mentioning it in conversation with one of her friends.... I'm sleeping on my front for a few months..... She can have them, of course, but when it came to those more intimate times, it could be a little strange.  I don't need to go any further, I think you can use your imaginations (NOOOOOO!!!!).   It was good to hear Amanda giggle this evening whilst conversing online with Kate-Anne. Good job KA!

9pm
She is in pain, poor love, and just said 'I want my breast back'.....this is no doubt, a quite normal outburst from a lady that's just had a breast removed.... It makes complete sense - I'm so happy to have her home.
Better get back to the foot rubbing, or she'll be taking a blade to my man nips!
Thanks for the music (Carl & Kate-Anne) the books, (Lucy) (Matt), the flowers (Friends) and all the support and love you are all giving, it's awesome.... Truly awesome, thanks so much for everything.
Ow!  Ok, time for me to stroke!  Night night....
PS. Hopefully Amanda will have a full nights sleep tonight, she is very, very tired.  She has hardly slept in over a fortnight, which is mental!

No comments:

Post a Comment