Friday 4 March 2011

I WANT ANOTHER ULTRASOUND! Is there an alternative way of checking?

Think this maybe the 3rd post today..... By God, what I wasn't doing vocally, I'm making up for digitally! Well we got the ultrasound this morning.  Dr Penny Haggett, who surely borrowed her name from the Harry Potter books, got to work.  Amanda mouthed to me, 'look at the screen',
as where she was positioned it was very difficult to see.  I watched, as she moved the scanner over my wife's infected breast (that in no way was meant to sound erotic, and it wasn't, I assure you), I could see the tumour area, and it sadly hadn't shrunk away to nothing, it hadn't even decreased in size, not even a little.  It had even survived a bombardment of organic fruit and veg for over 10 days.  It's horrible, resilient form, although only a little over one centimetre across, filled the room with it's deathly presence.  The damaged tissue around it, dark and uneven, peered out from the screen.  So my conclusion is, that a strict diet of fruit, veg, seeds and nuts, in addition to complete exclusion of animal proteins (vegan) cannot conquer a tumour or DCIS (little spreading cells) over a period of 10 days.  Not much of a conclusion, but it was worth noting.  Amanda's little face looked very disappointed, but this hadn't ruled out her beliefs.  Dr Penny Haggett (love using her full name) talked gently about Amanda's situation, and provided her thoughts, as to what Amanda was thinking and feeling.  Her advise was in complete agreement with the surgeon.  Amanda informed her again of her beliefs, but again, she was gentle but firm with her recourse.  Amanda asked her to check the other breast as she thought she could feel something.... As Dr Penny Haggett swirled the ultrasound wand over the left breast, a very, very dark shape about 2 centimetres across came into view.... my heart sank... she stayed over this area for a while, and kept chatting to Amanda.  'Yes, you have a cyst'.  Wooooo Hooooo!!!  It was strange to feel such relief, even though my lovely wife was lying there with a cancer infected breast, but relief I did feel.
Blood tests and liver checks all came back clean, more good news.  Chest X-ray clear.
Basically she was healthy enough to have an operation, if she was willing to accept one.

We sat talking with Sally (her breast cancer care nurse), and discussed everything again.  Amanda is like a beautiful dog with a bone, and her beliefs on man being able to heal himself/herself are incredibly strong.  She talked openly about her beliefs, God, self healing etc. even providing examples of such cases.  She talked of books she'd read over the years, this belief is not something new with Amanda, she has always believed in alternative healing.  Me?  Not really, but when you're ill you'll give anything a crack.  I do believe our diets do play a massive part in our health.  Massive!  But taking a pot shot on it to clear cancer is a risk not even I would be willing to take, and I love risk!  I think the trouble is, if I took this approach to beat cancer, maybe it would be the last risk I ever got the chance to take, and I love life far too much for that.  I didn't want to mock Amanda's beliefs, and I wouldn't, as I trust what she believes in, far more than any religion based theories, but everyone to their own.  I wanted to back her all the way.  Amanda said if she accepted treatment, she felt like she was just giving in to conventional science, like everyone does.  By not giving the alternatives a proper chance, she said, she'd feel like she would never know what could have been.  That only a few are brave (or mental) enough to try such an approach, and she's right... Totally right.  I wouldn't.... I'd do a bit of both.  I said to her what if it was the other way round?  Say I had cancer of the knee, and it was bad.  I could have my leg chopped off from the knee down (or knee up, but that would leave me in a worse state than ever!), and deal with the uncomfortable treatment, and the trauma of losing part of me.  Then have the wait for my superb, spring-loaded prosthesis, or I could say, bollocks to it.... 'I think what I'll do love, is start gorging on fruit and veg, yeh, I'll give that a crack, the worst that can happen is I hang onto my leg for a few more months, even a couple of years and die'.... hmmmmm 'Or I suppose I could have it amputated, put up with the scary surgery, and the after treatment, then get back to having a normal life again, and still be able to share it with you.'  It's a tough one eh?  Not for most, but for Amanda it still is. 

She's upstairs now, still reading about self healing, even though, she reluctantly agreed to a bed on Monday morning for an operation.

A couple of hours later:
Ok, we've been out for a walk to grab some precious rays of winter sun, full of vitamin D.  Lovely!  Amanda is still torn by alternative vs science.... it's difficult.  She mentioned God  -  This is where I rudely butted in (I'm sorry to all who have faith in the invisible man in the sky, or whatever form of God you worship), 'There is NO GOD.... if there was a God, do you think he planted the cancer on you for a personal challenge?  To see if you would accept his dare of conventional treatment vs alternative, go on I dare you?  God, if there was one, surely wouldn't go dishing dares out, that's just immature.... Surely!?'..... She did laugh at my outburst.

Again I reiterate, I do understand about diet, and how important it is.... but it's a mighty risk, courageous no doubt, but to guinea pig yourself, I feel, is also a little unhinged.  Saying that, she has full faith in these ideas (77% she said, which is pretty impressive!), and faith is an amazing thing to have.  I don't want anyone to tell Amanda what's right and wrong about her beliefs and final decision, as there are not rights and wrongs in this, she also hates being told what to do, and hates even more being told it's not the right way or best way (she hates it when I interfere in the kitchen!).  She does appreciate personal opinions, but won't take kindly to having them forced upon her. 
I don't want her to have an operation, that leaves her wondering what if, then continue the rest of her life resenting everything from then on..... but then again I'm fearful of 'the what if', very fearful in fact. 
Maybe I just lack the courage.  Maybe I lack the faith.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, reading through these blog entries is certainly quite moving, as was said on another one, the open expression and honesty is somewhat refreshing, than to see people skirting round everything pretending its not there, and i was pleased to see Amanda make an entry also =]

    I agree with the healthy diet routine you guys have going. My cousin Sarah had cancer for many years, she had an op to remove some lymph glands or something, i'm not 100% sure, had a scar on her neck anyhow, and she was fine, with a diet less extreme than yours mind, just vegetarian. then shortly after she packed in the vegetarian diet (8 years later), it flared up again, so there's definitely a link as far as i see it. I can only assume the healthy diet / cutting out the animal proteins freezes it, it seems to be the animal proteins that trigger the growth.

    As for the faith, yes, each to their own, you take away someones faith and you can take away their reason to try in many aspects of life, tread carefully matey =]

    I wish you both the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everyone can see that I fully back Amanda in her own personal choices, and faith.... I just don't have religious faith, that's all. But I do have faith in my wife to make a decision that is right. Right for her.
    Thanks for your thoughts Matt.

    ReplyDelete