Monday 7 March 2011

The Operation....

15.05
They walked us through the corridors from G Ward to the operating theatre. Amanda gowned up and frightened. Me, fully clothed... and frightened, I was so nervous, I can't imagine how she felt.
It's crazy that we have to walk out through the corridors she commented, I replied that hopefully the pair of socks she was wearing, would be OK to cross the road in! She giggled.
We stood outside the blue doors, waiting to be invited in,
the nurse knew well how nervous Amanda was. Amanda tucked into my chest as I stroked her head, then rubbed her back to help soothe her panic. The blue doors swung open, Amanda went ahead of me, the nurse held the door for us both. As I passed I heard her whisper sympathetically to the nurse assisting the anaesthetist 'Petrified, absolutely petrified...'.
Amanda lay on the bed, looking at me.... I could see the fear and worry in her eyes, whilst she played everything over in her head. The anaesthetist plumbed Amanda with a drip. Which hurt her. But she was OK. She asked the nurse was Mr Delhalvi a good seamstress, and had she ever seen anyone wake up during an operation, then went through the statistics with her! The nurse reassured her that in 5 years of being here, she had never seen anyone wake up mid surgery. Then went on to tell us about a film where it happens (called Awake), and that it was absolutely terrifying.... All that reassurance and hard work undone in a single sentence!
Delhalvi came out of theatre to the 'porch' area, and had a quick chat, as Amanda had found a couple of little lumps that were unnerving her further. He took out his biro, then drew the scalpel lines on her,illustrating where the cuts were to be made, easing her mind that his area was included within the mastectomy. As he turned to head back into the theatre, Amanda quipped 'if you have time, could you do the other one!?' I didn't think he was as nice as he was last Friday! He was probably gob smacked to see Amanda there at all!
The anaesthetist started her work, Amanda's complaints about the stinging sensation where the anaesthetic was plumbed in, were slightly muffled by the oxygen mask over her mouth. She tried to speak again, but this time the words were slurred. The anaesthetic was kicking in, I stroked her arm, then my eyes welled up, as she drifted into unconsciousness. I kissed her forehead and headed back to the room...... I love that lady..... Now I'm just sitting and waiting. Waiting for my perfect wife, to return to me in perfect health, in perfect shape, just a little lighter than before.
I'm scared, really scared, and really nervous........ But I have to be less of 'Soft Lad' for her...... I managed to hold back the tears until she had drifted off, so that was a bonus! A pat on the back for Mr Mark 'Whimpery Trembling Bottom Lip' Boyd.

4.20pm......
Still not back, they said 45 minutes, she was asleep at 3.15pm..........

4.23pm, 4.28pm....
Still not back.... Where is she?
I'm heading back up to theatre for a look....

4.38pm.
Found Dehalvi, sauntering through the corridors. He said no problems everything went according to plan, as he walked off he continued to mutter, 'no problems at all, very good'...... Ace!
She's alive!!!! She almost had me convinced she wasn't going to make it through the general anaesthetic!!! Bloody hell.... what a relief.
She is now in the recovery ward..... recovering..... Poor little love, hope she is ok? It's going to be so tough for her. The boob may well have been evil, but it was her evil boob...... and it was fairly heavy evil boob at that. She will miss it, but she will not miss the cancer!

6.21pm.
She is back with me now.  Very groggy from anaesthetic.  I

8pm.
She asked me to do her makeup..... God help her!
11pm
Make up done (joking!!!!)

Just nipped home to get her some food,  she is very, very sore x

Thankyou all for the lovely messages she will read them later.
Leave some for her on here too xxxx

6 comments:

  1. It's so weird the 'waking up fear', I had that too, and stupidly also watched the film. So glad op went well, strange how 2 letters can be so massively life changing...the op.....
    Give her a massive hug from me, and a kiss, a squeeze and a cuddle, and tell her well done, and if she needs her dressing changed, I owe her one ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey 'Sleeping Beauty' and of course her 'Prince Charming'!!! Looking forward to giving you a gentle squeeze AJ and a HUGE hug Mark. Just holler when you need me, very loudly if you lose your bloody mobile AGAIN!!!! Pink Polka Dot hugs xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wakey, wakey!!!!

    If the anaesthetic didn't get you, the evil boob cancer never had a chance! :-)

    Huge relief to hear it went well.

    Stu & Holly xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waking up during an op is one of my fears too, guess we all go through that thought.

    Glad it all went well

    Hugs and kisses xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello x

    I hope this makes you smile :D
    I just thought there have been enough tears for a while x

    ** Please Note:I'm not guaranteeing you won't cry lol. Oh and i'm also sober :)

    Amanda,

    Not only a fab hairdresser but a truely great friend
    "Please chop it all off" i insist - you know i'll grow it again
    I see you every six weeks (or so) without fail
    Through summer sun, winter snow and hail

    The up-do's for parties with glamour and glitz
    I want to be out of the chair
    but have to wait for that last tweak and a spritz - get off me woman !

    Oh and then there is the mandatory look at the back of my head too ;)

    I know you will make it through the difficult days ahead and soon be back at redd
    Listening, advising and making us all look amazing !


    (I'm feeling rather embarrased and shy right now but makes a nice change from being all emotional!)

    Lots of love

    Jane
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. kelly morairty8 March 2011 at 08:37

    Sending big warm fluffy pink hugs xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete